Apply Veteran Benefit to Study Abroad

Veteran Education Benefits may cover your study abroad program; however, the coverage depends on what kind of benefits you are eligible and what kind of restrictions may apply based on the benefits. 

In general, students utilizing veterans benefits will need to show that their study abroad program directly correlates with their degree plan. Students should also work with the Veterans Affairs Office to see what aspects of the study abroad program their benefits will cover: tuition, accommodations, travel, books/materials, etc.

Students should make sure they understand which benefits (state vs. federal) they are eligible for, as state benefits and federal benefits will differ. For example, most state benefits may cover the cost of tuition; however, the tuition has been be assessed by, or payable to, TAMU-CC. This type of funding restriction may pose limitations on the types of programs students can participate in. If tuition coverage can only be applied towards tuition assessed by TAMU-CC, this means that students could participate on exchange or faculty-led programs. 

To see whether your study abroad expenses can be covered by your Veteran Education Benefits, please contact the Veteran Affairs Office at 361-825-2331 or email, located on the first floor of the Student Services Center (the Round Building), Monday through Friday 8 am - 5 pm.

Each Veteran Education Benefit package is very different, so you will need to contact the Veterans Affairs Office and set up an appointment. You will need the following for your first appointment:

  • An unofficial copy of your transcript
  • A printed-out copy of your degree plan
  • All the information about the study abroad program that you would like to attend: which semester, the length of your studies, the start date of the program, and the courses that you would like to take

Elgibility for Financial Aid?

On another note, many students who qualify for Veteran Education Benefits typcially do not apply for, or might not know that they are eligible to apply for, Federal Student Aid as well. If you are currently utilzing Veteran Education Benefits, and typcially do not apply for any Federal Financial Aid (via the Financial Aid Office), you should consider completing the FAFSA and exploring other financial aid options available through the Financial Aid Office.